History of FBC Tioga

THE TOWN OF TIOGA, THE TOWN'S NAME BEING TAKEN FROM A TRIBE OF NEW YORK INDIANS, WAS FOUNDED IN 1881.  BEFORE LONG, IN ABOUT 1884, SOME BLACKSMITHS IN TOWN DISCOVERED THAT WHEN THEY BURNED THEIR HANDS, THE WATER FROM A NEARBY WELL SEEMED TO PROMOTE HEALING.  THIS DISCOVERY OF MINERAL WATER CAUSED THE TOWN TO START GROWING, AND BY 1902 THE POPULATION HAD INCREASED TO 1,200 PEOPLE.  THE TOWN WAS INCORPORATED IN 1906, AND BY THAT TIME IT HAD A FLOUR MILL, A SCHOOL BUILDING, SEVERAL ELEGANT RESIDENCES, ONE HOTEL, NO SALOONS, AND 4 CHURCHES.  HOWEVER, BEFORE THE TOWN WAS FOUNDED, A GROUP OF CHRISTIANS GATHERED IN THE SUMMER OF 1873, CALLED A PASTOR IN JULY OF THAT SUMMER, AND GAVE OPPORTUNITY FOR FOLKS TO BECOME MEMBERS, BEGINNING ON AUGUST 4.  BY THE END OF THAT YEAR,  48 PEOPLE WERE MEMBERS OF "THE BAPTIST CHURCH OF CHRIST AT TIOGA."  THE CHURCH HAS EXPERIENCED MANY CHANGES OVER THE PAST 139 YEARS, AND CHANGES WILL CONTINUE AS MINISTRY NEEDS AND THE CONTEXT OF THE COMMUNITY EXPERIENCES TRANSITION.  HOWEVER, GOD CONTINUES TO GATHER HIS PEOPLE AT WHAT NOW IS KNOWN AS "FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH," FOR WORSHIP, EDUCATION, FELLOWSHIP, AND MISSIONS WORK FOR THE CAUSE OF CHRIST.  

 

AS WE MOVE INTO THE FUTURE, A "NEW VISION TASK FORCE" HAS BEEN SELECTED TO SEEK GOD'S DIRECTION REGARDING OUR LOCATION, FACILITIES, MINISTRY STRATEGIES, STAFFING, AND OTHER DETAILS ESSENTIAL TO GLORIFYING HIM!

 

  August 2018  
SMTWTFS
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 
     
Bible Search